Bra-Fitting for Guys (and Gals)
Can we clear up the confusion?….let’s bust a few myths.
How about that joke comparing boobs to fruits?
It’s so prevalent that it’s even published!
BEWARE! THIS IS WRONG:
Please understand, that’s not how cup-sizing works.
A D-cup on a size 30″ band bra is tiny compared to a D-cup on a size 38″ band bra.
It would be like comparing plums to cantaloupes….. which represents a D-cup?
(See the great photo of a line of bras – ALL are D-cups – ranging from size 30-38)
And that “DD” that popular culture makes out to be an outrageous va-va-voom
size, is actually very average. We carry brands and styles that have cup-sizes much, much
further along in the alphabet. : )
(See diagram of how band and cup sizes interplay to fit all the different sizes women)
You may wonder how we females don’t know our bra size!
Here are some reasons a woman doesn’t know her bra size:
- weight -gain, -loss, pregnancy, nursing, menopause all affect bra size and affect each woman differently;
- she never learned how a bra is really supposed to fit;
- Mom never told her the ins and outs of bra-sizing because she didn’t know either;
- the store didn’t carry a small enough band or a big enough cup …… so she made-do with what was available;
- manufacturers use different scales to assign cup size (see chart of comparable cup sizes by country);
- SO many advertisements out there display bras fitting improperly;
(For example: the photo of the woman wearing the leopard print bra below….. that is not a good fit)
- advertisements are airbrushed to smooth underarm tissue that fluffs a bit when the proper band size is worn.
(see photo where the underarm tissue was NOT airbrushed out! – whoops, they forgot!)
So, check out that woman you care about….
Is the band of her bra riding up her back? (it should be parallel to the ground)
Is she always adjusting her bra? Or complaining?
These are the most obvious signs she’s wearing the wrong size or her bra is way past its life expectancy.
Do her a favor and suggest she visit City Drawers, escort her to our shop, or present her with a gift certificate.
We’d love to help.