Belfast. Legal Basics for Family and Business Professionals, POS 359, meets on Thursday, 2:30 – 5:00 p.m. at the UMaine Hutchinson Center in Belfast. The Hutchinson Center classroom will be connected by video conferencing technology to UMaine campus in Orono. There are no pre-requisites for this course.
If you are planning a career working with people or own a small or family business, this course is a must for you! This course is taught by Susan Longley, Judge of Probate, in Belfast.
• Students who want to think about legal careers as paralegals and lawyers, or careers working with people in a variety of settings, should take this course. Also students who want to gift themselves with a solid understanding of the law and the ways even just a basic understanding of everyone’s legal needs from early in one’s career to later in one’s life also will want to take this course.
• Specific Objectives. Specifically and with a strong emphasis on learning to use on-line legal resources, students will learn and be able to research substantive legal matters, prepare important legal documents and become familiar with both judicial and legislative processes.
• Students first will learn more about legal issues affecting their personal and professional lives. With this learning, students will start organizing legal documents that range from powers of attorney for finances and/or medical, wills, living wills, contracts, corporations and/or limited liability companies (LLCs).
• Also, students will become familiar with court procedures so that should the student ever be served papers to appear in court, s/he will have a far better understanding of how to begin to handle these court matters.
• Finally, armed in class with a deeper understanding and appreciation of important substantive and procedural legal matters, students next will learn where to go to find more legal information. In addition to on-line legal work, students also will learn to find their ways into actual law libraries, courtrooms, and legislative hearing rooms and become familiar and comfortable with acting in these legal settings, as well.
The UMaine Hutchinson Center is an outreach center for our flagship University of Maine.