Every once in a while, your roof will need repairs, and there’s even the occasion when your roof needs to be completely replaced. Unfortunately, roofs do not come with lifetime guarantees. If you have a deteriorating asphalt shingle roof, one of the first things you will notice is that the shingles are lifting or curling. There could also be loss of granules, blows-offs or missing shingles, or leaking and water damage inside your house.
Before winter arrives, make sure your roof is ready to face the treacherous weather. Here are steps you can take to slow the deterioration process before your roof needs to be replaced altogether:
- Clean debris from the surface of the roof. Debris can hold water, and water will speed up deterioration.
- If you notice your roof is starting to collect moss or algae, use zinc or lead control strips to prevent this from occurring.
- Trim back overhanging tree branches.
- Using roof cement, secure any loose shingles. You don’t have to go overboard, though… Just a few dabs will do.
- Replace any damaged shingles.
- Keep your gutters clean and make sure the water is draining properly by testing.
- Check any metal for rust. Use a wire brush to remove rust then prime and paint.
- Check caulking and sealants. Scrape away any caulking that is weathered and damaged and clean the area thoroughly.
- Check mortar on chimneys. If it is damaged or deteriorated, a mason can help you repair it.
Finally, if your roof is completely beyond your own repair, give us a call. We can assess the damage and help you fix the problem!
Horch Roofing is Midcoast Maine’s largest and most experienced roofing contractors. We have been roofing Maine homes in Rockland, Camden, Thomaston, Rockport, Union, Warren, and Waldoboro since 2002, and continue to offer the best quality roofing job to our clients. For more information, visit our website at http://www.horchroofing.com, our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/HorchRoofing or give us a call at (207)-273-1111.